Fall is almost here, the kids are back to school and the Fiesta in the Park committee is busy preparing for the upcoming 45th annual Fiesta in the Park to be held on November 7 & 8, 2015 at beautiful Lake Eola in downtown Orlando.
As we prepare, we are delighted to see many of our Artists and Craftsmen are returning and many new ones joining us for the first time. The festival hosts 300 artists and craftsmen from our community, state and around the country. I encourage you to mark your calendar as this is the perfect time to begin your Holiday shopping.
Many of our artists rely solely on their artwork for a living. So please support our Artists by buying “handmade.”
Here are a few reasons to buy handmade.
1. You support local artisans, and therefore their local economy and community.
2. You get high-quality items that are built to last. Artisans take pride in their work, and want it to last.
3. Your gifts are the best on the block. Cool, trendy, unique, and one-of-a kind, you can find some really awesome handmade stuff that will make everyone ask “Where did you get that?”
4. Customization! Since each and every item is made by hand, and you are usually talking directly to the person making it, you can tweak the color or size of something you are interested in, or even get a commissioned custom order done.
5. You’re helping the environment. It’s always a nice feeling to ‘go green,’ isn’t it? Handmade items aren’t made in a waste-producing factory and shipped halfway around the world using fuel and energy. Buying handmade (especially really locally) can greatly reduce your carbon footprint on the world.
6. You gain a unique connection with an artisan. You can be in direct contact with the person who made the item with their own hands.
7. Let’s not forget the great feeling of knowing you helped support someone very directly.
Now I offer you reasons why buying handmade can be the easiest holiday shopping choice you make:
1. Avoid crowded stores. Buy handmade items at local craft fairs like Fiesta in the Park, markets, and boutiques.
2. Save time and energy!
3. Get it all done at once. Come to Fiesta in the Park and get all that holiday shopping done at once. Craft shows usually offer a much wider range of goods than your typical store.
I encourage each and every one of you to buy “handmade” this year and every year, not just for the holidays but for all special occasions.